Join us May 24 for a brief online session to learn how antibiotic stewardship supports healthier patients and your Medicare reimbursement!
Click here to receive login information.
Infections from antibiotic resistant bacteria sicken 2 million Americans every year, and kill at least 23,000. Use of antibiotics is the single most important factor leading to resistance—and up to 50% of antibiotics prescribed for people are unnecessary or not optimally prescribed.
You can do something about this. For the first time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has created a framework specifically to support outpatient providers in avoiding unnecessary antibiotics—even when facing pressure from patients for a prescription.
The Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship (see sidebar) guides clinics and other outpatient prescribers in actions to make appropriate prescribing the everyday expectation of clinicians, staff and patients. HealthInsight is here to help you—for your practice, your patients and the greater community.
Get Smart Overview
HealthInsight's campaign, aligned with the CDC's Get Smart antibiotic stewardship (AS) initiative is supporting 500 outpatient facilities in our four-state region in implementing the Core Elements by July 2019. The initiative is open to medical practices and outpatient clinics, Federally Qualified Health Centers, hospital emergency departments, public health clinics, outpatient pharmacies, pharmacy-based clinics and urgent care.
How we can help
We'll help your facility become an environment that surrounds the patient with consistent information and education about your commitment to avoid inappropriate antibiotics, and supports clinicians and staff in making AS part of daily practice.
We'll help you access effective posters, handouts, and other resources from the CDC and the Choosing Wisely® initiative. Our experienced staff and other experts bring you status assessment, clinician and patient education and technical assistance free of charge to help you implement the Core Elements.
How this helps you and your patientsImplementing antibiotic stewardship
- Preserves the power of antibiotics when they are necessary
- Helps your patients and their families understand why you are not prescribing antibiotics when they are not necessary
- Aligns your outpatient setting with payor and public reforms that are beginning to require additional accountability for antibiotic prescribing and stewardship
- Assists with accreditation and certification requirements
We can help you prepare.You'll receive:
- Access to materials for patient education and setting patient expectations
- Clinical education on AS, including learning network activities
- Experience and tools for assessing your current AS program and measuring effectiveness of AS
- Information on how implementing the Core Elements can support your goals
- Assistance in integrating AS with your electronic medical record for documentation
- Opportunities for advice from experts and participation on a multidisciplinary advisory team
Your patients and your community need your commitment to reduce antibiotic resistance and preserve the power of antibiotics for all of us. Are you ready to join us in this important work?
How to get started:
- Join your peers today in committing to make antibiotic stewardship a priority in your organization. We will contact you to help you plan next steps. And we'll provide a poster to tell your patients about your commitment to optimal prescribing—fulfilling the first Core Element.
- Review the Core Elements Checklist for an overview of the activities HealthInsight will help you with.
- Check out our online Tool Kit for resources to help answer patients' questions about antibiotics and set expectations and help prescribers respond when antibiotics are requested but not indicated.
To Learn More
Contact the project lead in your state to get more information:
Vicky Kolar, Project Coordinator
Elaine Chavez, Project Manager
Carrie Beck, Project Coordinator
Sandra Debry, Project Manager