Choosing Wisely Utah’s Top 5*:In Utah, we are working to advance the ABIM Foundation's national Choosing Wisely campaign, created to help patients and healthcare professionals work together to make "wise" choices about care. This partnership between HealthInsight, medical providers, employers, consumers, and health systems is focusing on raising awareness around five common procedures and tests that are unnecessary, and provide little value to patients, in most cases:
*We had 395 survey completions from 140 organizations to develop Choosing Wisely Utah’s Top 5 areas of focus.
How can physicians and patients have the important conversations necessary to ensure the right care is delivered at the right time? Choosing Wisely® aims to answer that question.
30% of health care spending is wasted on unnecessary services, including some that may not improve people's health!
An initiative of the ABIM Foundation, Choosing Wisely is focused on encouraging physicians, patients and other health care stakeholders to think and talk about medical tests and procedures that may be unnecessary, and in some instances can cause harm. Visit www.choosingwisely.org to find out more.
Recognizing that patients need better information, Consumer Reports is developing patient-friendly materials and is working with consumer groups to disseminate them widely. For more information, visit consumerhealthchoices.org
HealthInsight recently received a grant from the ABIM Foundation to advance the Choosing Wisely® campaign. Support for this program comes from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Come to our UPV meetings (Utah Partnership for Value)
- Come to one of our upcoming Town Hall meetings (more information coming soon)
- Distribute Choosing Wisely materials (see Resources tab)
- Consumer Reports Health - In Depth: Antibiotics
- 5 Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Get Any Test, Treatment, or Procedure
- Antibiotics for a sore throat, cough, or runny nose
- Imaging tests for lower-back pain
- CT scans for children with head injuries
- Imaging tests for headaches
- Treating sinusitis
- Choosing Wisely Campaign Presentation by David Shute
- Choosing Wisely wallet card
- Choosing Wisely at Intermountain - Adult
- Choosing Wisely at Intermountain - Pediatric
- Employer Toolkit
- The ABIM Foundation's Medical Professionalism Blog
- Training medical providers to deliver high value care-ACP tools
- Avoid Unnecessary Treatments in the ER: A discussion with the doctor can help you make the best decision.
|Antibiotics for a sore throat, cough, or runny nose||Download/View|
|When children need them—and when they don’t|
|Don’t rush to antibiotics|
|Choosing Wisely Wallet Cards||Download/View|
|A stuffed up nose and headache are no fun. But, antibiotics rarely work for a cold.5 questions to ask your doctor about tests or treatments.|
|5 QUESTIONS to Ask Your Doctor Before You Get Any Test, Treatment, or Procedure||Download/View|
|Use the 5 questions to talk to your doctor about which tests, treatments, and procedures you need - and which you don't need.|
Note: You can print these materials for your own use.
- Professionals unite for health care efficiency, Utah Valley University Review - 4/12/2014
- My view: Is more always better? Not in health care, Deseret News Op-Ed feat. board member Brian Jackson - 3/27/2014
- Health Campaign Encourages Utahns to Question Their Doctors, KUER, featuring board member Alan Ormsby - 3/27/2014
- Open houses hope to help Utahns make wise health care choices, Fox13 TV, feat. board members Robin Betts and Saskia Spiess - 3/23/2014
- Utahns warned: Unneeded medical tests do more harm than good, Salt Lake Tribune featuring panelists Alan Ormsby and Wayne Cannon - 3/27/2014
- Choosing Wisely Utah,KUED TV, feat. board member David Clark - 3/25/2014
- Univision TV news story in Spanish - 3/26/2014
- The Hinckley Institute Radio Hour, KCPW: Live at Hinckley Forum - 4/9/2014
- Group wants to educate public about unnecessary procedures, KTVX, featuring board member Jennifer Dailey - 3/26/2014
- Group encourages wisdom in health care, Provo Daily Herald - 4/9/2014
- Study shows many health care decisions not wise, Daily Herald - 4/8/2014
- Choosing Wisely Press Release
Hinckley Institute Radio Hour: Healthcare Panel - When Less Is More, KCPW.org - 4/9/2014
- Utah Academy of Family Physicians (UAFP)
- Zion's Bank
- University of Utah
- Utah Medical Association (UMA)
- Intermountain Quality Council
- Public Employees Health Program (PEHP)