Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship Tool KitHealthInsight's Get Smart: Preserving the Power of Antibiotics initiative supports participating providers in implementing the Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship, published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Nov. 2016. Our online tool kit is a work in progress, incorporating materials and educational resources from the CDC and other trusted sources. Bookmark and visit often to see what's new!
About the Core Elements
Core Elements Checklist
Use this tool to evaluate your facility's implementation status for each of the four Core Elements.
Core Element 1: Commitment
Displaying a poster in the waiting area or exam room is a simple way to demonstrate your commitment to appropriate prescribing and start the conversation with patients who request antibiotics. Posters include space for facility to insert a clinician signature, printed-label logo or electronic logo.
Core Element 2: Action for Policy and Practice
Resources from CDC to support you in implementing policy or practice to improve antibiotic prescribing and assess whether the policy is working. Approaches include delayed prescribing and watchful waiting.
- Adult Treatment Recommendations
- Pediatric Treatment Recommendations
- What Is Delayed Prescribing? (prescription pad information for patients)
- What Is Watchful Waiting? (prescription pad information for patients)
Core Element 3: Tracking and Reporting
Resources to help you monitor prescribing practices and provide feedback to prescribing clinicians.
Please contact HealthInsight staff for assistance.
Core Element 4: Education and Expertise
Resources for providers and patients, including symptoms and conditions antibiotics will not help, and access to expertise on optimizing prescribing practices.
- Viral Rx pad/handout - Tells why antibiotics are not being prescribed and offers approaches for relieving viral symptoms. Can be made into "prescription pads" or used as single-sheet handout.
- Antibiotics Aren't Always the Answer - Brochure with information for parents.
State Antibiotic Stewardship Coalitions
- Nevada Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
- Oregon Alliance Working for Antibiotic Resistance Education (AWARE)—education for patients and clincians; customizable exam room poster
To Learn More
Contact the project lead in your state to get more information:
Vicky Kolar, Project Coordinator
Elaine Chavez, Project Manager
Carrie Beck, Project Coordinator
Sandra Debry, Project Manager